Maine Squeeze: We wake up very early

24 March 2011

We’ve arrived at the wedding morning!! And oh, what an early morning it was. With an 11am ceremony, and no professionals in site (except caterers), the bulk of last-minute prep was on my family and our relatives and friends. The up-shot? A 5am wakeup call for me, my Dad, my younger sister, and John. Lucky Kate and my mom — they slept in the Harbor, and got to sleep in until Kate’s hair and makeup appointment at 6:30!

So that 5am wakeup call. I set my alarm for 5, with the intention of rolling out of bed, throwing on some clothes, shaking Kim and John repeatedly, and then being out the door by 5:15. Well, 5:15 rolled around. And it was still dark. And I was really tired. And no one else was moving. Then 5:30 rolled around. More of the same. Somewhere between 5:30 and 5:45 the black outside the window lightened to a medium gray, and I decided it was finally time to shake a leg. I believe we made it down to West Shore by 6am, and, as it turns out, the 45 minutes we “lost” weren’t a big deal. Whew!

That part of the morning is pretty much a blur, but I know we made multiple wagon trips across the Island, set out the linens and runners on the guest tables, set out the blankets on the lawn, set up croquet and lawn games, arranged centerpieces on all the tables, strung bunting on the buffets, and set up the sound system, among many other things. I do know that at one point Meredith, the second shooter for the day, arrived, and I’m pretty sure I looked and sounded like a crazy person — basically still in my pajamas, unwashed face, etc. She was as sweet as usual and probably told me it looked like we had everything under control. Thank you, Meredith!!

Speaking of sweet people, my wonderful, wonderful cousins took care of setting up the ceremony site, so we only had one “venue” to worry about. And by 8:30 or 9, we were done! We ran back to the cottage where Kate and my Mom had just arrived, and took turns hopping in the shower. But before we get to that, I want to share a peek at the gents!

Jenna headed straight to the groom’s cottage when she arrived on Island.

She would probably want me to mention that she handed her camera to a groomsman to get this next shot!

That’s right, Cormac showered outside on the morning of his wedding.

Kate tied those rope boutonnieres, and the flowers were from Boothbay Region Greenhouses! The ties were purchased at Macy’s, I believe. Once everyone was dressed, it was time for a few portraits.

Yeah, that last photo pretty much sums up these dudes.

I would also like to give a shout out to one Mr. Josh, groomsman extraordinaire, who I know reads this blog and who I can only imagine was eagerly anticipating his Peach & Pearl debut. Hi, Josh!

Up next: the girls!

All photos by the talented Jenna Cole!

We arrive
We prepare
We raise the tent
We rehearse and play wiffle ball
We jump off the wharf
We eat lobster

Notify of

Inline Feedbacks
View all comments