This is my third pregnancy, but will be my first time doing any sort of official maternity photos! Instead of something more traditional, we’re taking the opportunity to squeeze in photos as a family of four… where I just happen to have a bump :) I’ll likely be between 28 and 31 weeks for our shoot. This is what I’m hoping for:
Left to right and top to bottom: Kelli Seeley, Courtney Leigh Photo, Julia Berolzheimer, Blue Barn Photography, Julia Berolzheimer, Kelli Seeley, Julia Berolzheimer, Briana Wilbur, Liz Adams, Briana Wilbur
I can pull photo inspiration all day, but choosing outfits for the family is always a challenge for me. I do find it’s helpful to start with one person’s outfit, and then build out from there. This time around, that person gets to be me :) I’ve scoured the internet (with the help of a few friends!) and rounded up a few options that might work. Note that only two are actually maternity dresses! Most of the maternity options I found are either too flowy and fancy for my taste, or cute but too casual for what I’m picturing. The non-maternity dresses I’m eyeing have bump-friendly features, like a higher waist, smocking, or a loose silhouette. Once I narrow it down (with your help!), I’m assuming I’ll need to order several options to try on at home to make sure they fit as I’m picturing!
Here’s what I’ve got…
1. Cornflower Lolita Dress | This one is lovely and looks quite bump-friendly, but won’t be back in stock until after we expect to take our photos.
2. Liberty Mini Floral Dress | With a high tie waist, I think this one will work nicely with a bump. The floral pattern would be fun to pull colors from for everyone else’s outfits!
3. Ellie Nap Dress | My dream Hill House dress is this pattern in blue and white, which seems to have disappeared from their website (argh!!). I have a gift card and would have loved to use it for this occasion but I think I’m going to hold out until my blue and white dreaminess comes back in stock – fingers crossed. [I ended up wearing this dress in another pattern and can confidently say the nap dresses are a DREAM for pregnant people!! I wear a small, and I typically wear a XS or S!]
4. Yellow Gold Mini Dress | I think this color is so fun! I’ve been crushing on yellow in family photos after my friend Katie wore it for hers. The fact that it is a mini dress concerns me a bit, since the bump will bring up the hemline, but might work if I size up a bit? [Tried on and updated to add: length was too short and didn’t love the sleeves on me!]
5. Rainbow Gingham Dress | This is such a happy dress (with smocking!), but I’m not sure if it’s “me” enough for the occasion?
6. Embroidered Sundress | One of the maternity options! It might be too casual for what I’m shooting for?
7. Ruffle Tiered Dress | I’m not convinced I’d love the fabric on this one, and though I love the pink color online, it’s billed as “neon,” which again, is not exactly what I’m looking for.
8. Navy Polka Dot Dress | I LOVE THIS DRESS! It’s maternity, and it probably would have been my pick without all this discussion, but it’s currently sold out in every size (argh!).
9. Ruffle Stripe Dress | I own this dress! It’s very sweet and comfy and I look forward to having it in the rotation for the next few months and beyond, but I don’t think the quality/fit is good enough for lasting family photos.
10. White Sleeveless Dress | This dress has been on my wishlist for months! I think the style is so chic and classic, and other family members could wear fun patterns or colors to complement it. Will probably order to see if the fit works. [Tried on and updated to add: I LOVE THIS DRESS!! I actually don’t think it’s great for maternity photos, since it doesn’t really show off the bump, but I’m going to keep it to wear both during and after pregnancy. A reader also pointed out that it’s very breastfeeding friendly, which I love!]
11. Green Floral Dress | Gah, this one is fun, too. I think the waist is high enough that it would be bump-friendly.
12. Chambray Dress | I have also loved this dress for a long time, but alas, it is currently sold out in every size.
Let’s vote! Which one do you think I should wear, or at least order to try on at home? If it helps, the setting will likely be some sort of grassy field.
Affiliate links are used in this post!